Well, it’s a typical Monday night in Pasadena, CA. My husband works most nights, so I usually take this time to hang out with friends and try new recipes out on them. Tonight, my friends Lyndsey and Angela wanted to cheer up our friend Beth. Angela was going to get her flowers, Lyndsey a card, and I was going to bake vegan cookies!
I don’t usually cook vegan food…so I had to look up new recipes and figure out how to follow them with the ingredients that I had in my house, but I didn’t have enough of anything to make ANY of the recipes that I found. So, I came up with my own vegan, corn-free and gluten-free dessert: Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies!
Let me just start by saying: SO GREAT!
- 1 C. Gluten Free Flour (it also needs to be corn free; I used King Arthur Brand)
- ¼ cup Coconut Oil
- ½ C. Walnuts
- 3 oz. of garbanzo beans (1/4 of a 12 oz. can)
- ½ can of the garbanzo bean "juice"
- ½ C. of rolled oats
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1.5 tsp Corn free baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tsp Corn free Vanilla
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- ¼ C. Light Brown Sugar
- ¼ C. Organic White Sugar
- 2 Tbsp. Agave Nectar
- 1 Can Organic Pumpkin Puree
- ¾ bag of Vegan Chocolate Chips
- PreHeat your Oven to 350 degrees. Remember each oven is different, so make sure that you watch the cookies the first time you make them.
- Begin by combining your Coconut Oil, Garbanzo Beans, and the Bean "Juice" into a Food Processor until completely blended and liquified
- Pour that liquid mix into a separate bowl and add the brown sugar, white sugar, agave nectar, vanilla and whisk together.
- Add your can of pumpkin puree. Whisk together
- CLEAN your Food Processor
- Blend Flour, Walnuts, and Oatmeal with your food processor until the walnuts have become the same texture as the flour. Add baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon...blend again.
- FOLD the dry ingredients 1 CUP at a time to the liquid ingredients. Make sure that it is all blended before you add more dry ingredients.
- ADD the chocolate chips to the mixture and fold them in.
- With either a spoon or a ice cream scoop(my favorite) scoop out the dough onto a cookie sheet. Make sure the the cookies have enough room to spread out, because they will.
- Place into the oven and BAKE for 20-25 minutes. PLEASE be aware of your own oven and how quick it cooks.
- Take out and let cool on a cooling rack for 15 minutes. These cookies don't have preservatives, so they should be refrigerated.