Stuffed Acorn Squash
Acorn squash is an amazing winter squash. It's sweet and buttery flavor allows for a lot of diversity in recipes. If you saw the Chicken Sausage Dolmas
recipe from last week, you will see a lot of similar ingredients. This squash stuffing is identical to the beginning mixture found in the dolmas recipe.
I have heard so many radio shows, podcasts, and news anchors discussing the cold weather all over the country and the boring recipes. This is a great alternative to those boring recipes.
I like using Organic Chicken Sausage. I find this at a local Whole Foods. Look at the ingredients and make sure that it is certified Gluten Free. Call the number on back if you have questions about the ingredients.
These mustard greens came from my CSA box. Sometimes greens can be a difficult ingredient to use because they can be tough and bitter. Using them in a dish with other spices balances out the bitterness and this recipe allows enough moisture to soften the greens. Remember to wash the greens multiple times to get rid of excess dirt.
Before you eat the squash, make sure it is soft enough to eat by sticking a knife in the squash "meat". Consider using other cheeses and let me know what you think.
Stuffed Acorn Squash
Author: Elizabeth Eichhorn
Recipe type: Dinner
Cuisine: Winter Season
- 1 Acorn Squash
- ½ C Jasmine Rice
- 2 Organic Chicken Sausages (cut small)
- 1 C Organic Vegetable Broth
- 2 C Mustard Greens (ribs removed)
- 1 C Organic Shredded Sharp Cheddar
- 1 Shallot (minced)
- 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 tsp. Sea Salt
- ½ tsp. White Pepper
- PreHeat oven to 350°F
- Cut the Acorn Squash and remove the seeds
- Cut the sausage and shallots
- Place in a bowl with seasonings and olive oil
- Remove the ribs of the mustard greens, cut and wash them
- Add ingredients to the sausage and shallots
- Add rice and broth
- Mix all together
- Place mixture into the "bowl" of the squash.
- Place the acorn squash in a 8 X 8 pyrex dish (this helps keep it from moving around)
- Cover with foil
- Bake for 55 min.
- Remove the cover
- Add the Cheese and bake until melted