It’s Monday. For me, the lines between the weekend and weekdays are getting more and more blurred. I find this a bit hilarious because between my husband and me, we had 8 jobs last year, now only one a piece! Anyways, today, I wanted to make a shout out for those readers who have responded to my recipes and have helped me realize that there are some “tweaks” and clarifications that need to be made to my recipes.
My recipes are fit to my diet. Each of us have different bodies that work in different ways. What works for your diet, might not work for mine and vice versa.
When I was diagnosed with my Corn Allergy, I knew that I didn’t want to give up baking. One of the largest components to baking is vanilla. This sweet tasting bean gives baked goods feeling of homeyness and completes the flavors. The downside of most vanilla extract is that the vanilla is infused in alcohol that is a corn derivative.
So I make my own! I hope that you enjoy this recipe and use it often. Even if you don’t have a problem to corn, this is some great tasting vanilla!
SUPER SIMPLE HOMEMADE VANILLA (corn free)
- 16 0z. Glass Mason Jar (or any jar that has a tight lid)
- Pairing Knife
- 12 oz. Potato Vodka- this can be bought at any store that sells liquor.
- 3 Vanilla Beans (I use Organic, Fair Trade, Madagascar Beans- look at your local spice store)
1) Gather Ingredients
2) With a pairing knife, split open the pod to allow the beans to show
3) Place whole pod and beans in the Mason Jar
4) Cover the beans with the Vodka
5) Close the lid
6) Shake the beans
7) Place the Jar in a dark, dry location (I keep mine in the pantry)
9) Shake the mixture every week
10) After 8-10 weeks of sitting, you will then have delicious Vanilla that is safe for you or your friends with corn allergies/sensitivities