By the middle of the summer I get pretty tired of cold food. Somehow it doesn’t fill me up the way that warm meals do. I crave something I can sink my teeth into. That’s one reason I love these lettuce wraps. Something about the combination of everything makes me feel all filled up–almost like those winter meals.
One of the best parts of this is the preparation. Other than washing some lettuce, everything goes into a food processor. Couple quick pulses, and all you have to do is scoop and serve.
If you have some other ingredients on hand, feel free to substitute. Try switching out the chicken for another form of protein, or changing up the dressing. Word of warning, if you add in a water-filled veggie like zucchini, pulse that separately and squeeze out the water. Let us know your favorite alternate combinations if you experiment!
- 2 romaine lettuce heads
- 1 C shredded carrots
- 4 organic chicken (pre-cooked)
- ¼ red cabbage
- ⅓ C parsley
- ¼ C red onion
- ½ C peanuts (split in half)
- 3 Tbsp tamari
- 1Tbsp red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp black pepper
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- Wash the lettuce
- Remove the outer leaves
- Place remaining ingredients in a food processor, except for ¼ C peanuts
- Pulse the ingredients until blended, but not smooth
- *Optional: place the ingredients in a sauce pan to heat up on the stove
- Place a spoonful of the mixed ingredients in lettuce.
- Top with whole peanuts