Do you have certain meals that remind you of your childhood? I do. This green chili egg casserole is one of them. My mom would make it for church functions or her non-profit events; and every time she did, I prayed that there would leftovers, because this amazing cheesy casserole was always a treat to wake up to.
Over the past few months, my life has been filled to the brim with activities, social events, work, and dealing with my own grief about some of the things that happened last year. Lately, my go-to comfort activity–cooking–felt like a distant dream,and was replaced with takeout or leftovers.
I began to long for slower days and moments of comfort–and knew I needed to get back in the kitchen. One morning, I decided to say “no” to all events, and spend time in the kitchen. The recipes I gravitated towards were ones that were simple and tasty. Things like crepes, beet salad, and this egg casserole.
When you’re longing for a delicious comfort food that also is easy, then this is the recipe for you.
- 8 eggs
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free flour
- ½ cups whole milk
- 2 cups shredded cheese (½ cup Monterey Jack, ½ cup pepper jack, 1 cup cheddar)*
- 2 7-ounce cans green chilis
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 400℉. Spray a 9”x13” casserole pan with non-stick spray, or coat with butter.
- Whisk together eggs, gluten-free flour, salt, and milk until combined.
- Pour half the egg mixture on base of the pan. Scatter half the cheese and all green chilis over the egg mixture. Pour remaining egg mixture on top of cheese and chilis. Scatter remainder of cheese on top.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes. Serve warm.
- Optional toppings: sour cream, plain yogurt, cilantro, hot sauce
- *Trader Joe’s carries a mixed shredded cheese bag that uses potato starch as a de-clumping agent, not corn starch