One of my favorite ingredient substitutions is dates in place of sweeteners. They still are high in sugar but they have other great benefits, like reduce blood pressure and a good source of fiber. I like making date paste. It’s easy and can keep in the freezer for 3 months! If you are looking for other great substitutions, head over to our education section, and check out my top 8 corn substitutions… having good substitutions on hand makes cooking and baking easier, and prevents a lot of headaches!
What are some of your favorite substitutions for sweeteners? Let us know!
Things you’ll need for this recipe:
- 2 C pitted dates
- 2½ C warm water
- 1 tsp (choose one flavor) vanilla, lemon, lime, cinnamon or any other kind of flavor you want to add
- Place all of the pitted dates into a blender
- Pour 1 C warm water into the blender
- Blend the mixture
- (optional) Add the extra flavor
- While the blender is on, slowly pour the remaining amount of water
- Blend until the mixture is consistency that resembles marmalade
- (optional) Add more water if you want a smoother or thinner consistency
- Place the paste in a container that is able to seal
- Enjoy in baked goods, coffee, or on toast.
- *note that 1 C date paste (packed) is equivalent to 1 C sugar