Welcome Megan Grann + Butternut Squash/Lentil Curry

By | 2016-03-20T14:40:57+00:00 January 13th, 2016|Categories: Blog, Corn Free, Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Mary Lee Community, Peanut Free, Recipes, Soy Free, Vegetarian|Tags: |

Hello Mary Lee Kitchen Family! My name is Megan Grann, and I am very happy to be a newcomer to this community. As this is my first time blogging, I think a little background information is in order. I met Elizabeth while we attended Texas Tech University as undergraduates, drinking way too much coffee and completely naive to the world of food allergies. Since then, Elizabeth has begun her work toward inclusive eating, and I've moved to New York City. [...]

Best Broccoli Ever!

By | 2015-12-27T17:24:19+00:00 December 27th, 2015|Categories: Mary Lee Community|

Best Broccoli Ever!   Save Print Prep time 10 mins Cook time 25 mins Total time 35 mins   Author: Nick Serves: 6 Servings Ingredients 4 to 5 pounds broccoli 4 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced Good olive oil 1½ teaspoons kosher salt ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice 3 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted ⅓ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese 2 tablespoons julienned fresh basil leaves (about 12 [...]

Discovering New Comforts + Spiced Buckwheat Pancakes

By | 2016-05-17T10:06:54+00:00 December 23rd, 2015|Categories: Blog, Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Grain Free, Mary Lee Community, Peanut Free, Recipes, Soy Free|Tags: , |

Yams, Grandma’s macaroni and cheese, collard greens, beans, rolls, ham… This is what typically comes to mind when I think of traditional holiday foods. The holidays always meant being surrounded by family and an abundance of food. Whether Thanksgiving or Christmas, preparations began the night before with washing vegetables, soaking beans, and defrosting large birds or hams. The next morning, I rose early with the sun and my mother to help in the marathon of cooking and baking. My brothers [...]

Allergy Awareness + GF Holiday Sugar Cookies

By | 2015-12-18T18:01:53+00:00 December 18th, 2015|Categories: Blog, Fish Free, Gluten Free, Mary Lee Community, Peanut Free, Recipes|Tags: |

About a month ago, we had an incident with Kye that we were not entirely prepared for. It was early on a Friday evening. I was at work, and Brittany and the kids were visiting her Grandpa in a town nearby. Kye had accidentally been given a cracker that day which was not gluten free, or as we like to say, he was glutened. It was entirely unintentional, but extremely unfortunate. Up to this point, he hasn’t had the most [...]

Highlighting Buzzed Honeys + Hot Milk ala Buzzed Honeys

By | 2015-12-03T11:40:23+00:00 December 4th, 2015|Categories: Blog, Corn Free, Gluten Free, Grain Free, Mary Lee Community, Paleo, Peanut Free, Recipes|Tags: |

In the Summer of 2013, David Bock was walking through a farmer’s market in Southern California with his sons, Simon and Leo. While they sampled the honey selection at one of the stands, the vendor asked if they wanted beehives in their backyard. It didn’t take much convincing for David. A few months later, he and his sons set out on a grand adventure that has become Buzzed Honeys. They sold their first batch of honey to their neighbors, and [...]

Connie’s After Thanksgiving Salad

By | 2016-05-17T10:00:05+00:00 November 27th, 2015|Categories: Blog, Corn Free, Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Mary Lee Community, Recipes|Tags: , |

Connie's After Thanksgiving Salad   Save Print Prep time 10 mins Cook time 30 mins Total time 40 mins   Author: Connie Weismuller Recipe type: Salad Serves: 4 C Ingredients 1 Cup Uncooked Quinoa + 2 Cups Water ½ Large Bell Pepper ¼ Cup Fresh Edamame 3 Green Onion Sprigs ½ Large Yellow Peach 1 Heaping TBSP Roasted and Unsalted Sunflower Seeds 10 Cherry Tomatoes 3 Slices of Fresh Lemon Juice (about 2 TBSP) 2 tsp olive oil Cracked Salt [...]

Paleo Chocolate Mousse for Thanksgiving! It’s a new tradition.

By | 2016-05-17T10:00:30+00:00 November 25th, 2015|Categories: Blog, Corn Free, Dairy Free, Fish Free, Gluten Free, Grain Free, Mary Lee Community, Peanut Free, Recipes|Tags: |

Polishing silver was one of my jobs as a child to help prepare for the Thanksgiving meal at my grandparents. Silver was polished, crystal shined, and the centerpiece assembled. There was attention to every detail and it took weeks to prepare, but what still makes me laugh is the centerpiece that we had. It was a pineapple with a velvet turkey head that was pinned to the bottom of the pineapple. The prickly part of the pineapple represented the feathers [...]

Thanksgiving with Britt & Noah

By | 2016-05-17T10:01:04+00:00 November 24th, 2015|Categories: Blog, Corn Free, Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Mary Lee Community, Recipes, Vegetarian|

With Thanksgiving just around the corner, I’ve been thinking a lot about holiday meal traditions. Having only experienced one Thanksgiving season where we knew about Kye’s diagnosis of Celiac Disease, we haven’t exactly had the time to develop any significant traditions that have allowed our family to come to the table in peace. But it’s also difficult to develop our own family traditions around holiday meals because we live close to our families. Don’t get me wrong, that is definitely [...]

I am grateful for my husband + Butternut Squash/Mushroom Risotto

By | 2016-05-17T10:01:21+00:00 November 20th, 2015|Categories: Blog, Corn Free, Fish Free, Gluten Free, Mary Lee Community, Recipes|Tags: , |

It pains me to reflect and realize that instead of thanking my husband, I yell at him, give him stern looks or feel disappointed with a lot of the things he does. The most frustrating part is that I forget about his good qualities when I'm yelling at him for his annoyances. But he is funny, light-hearted, honest—almost to a fault—hospitable, and he would do anything for me.Victor swept me off my feet when he made me french toast from [...]