It’s Cinco de Mayo and I am going to discuss corn allergies!? It’s hard for me to believe it too! Growing up in Texas this was a highly celebrated day. In high school we would bring Mexican inspired dishes to our Spanish class. In college we would go out for margaritas, and after college we would celebrate by going to Fiesta.
But Mexican food has a lot of corn and a lot of wheat, so when you’re allergic or sensitive to one of these ingredients the celebration is not so celebratory. But no need to worry too much, we have a great solution for when you want to enjoy fish tacos. Simply serve the fish over white basmati rice and black beans!
(THE IMAGES USED ARE NOT OF THIS RECIPE BUT RATHER FROM A RECENT COMMUNITY DINNER: The actual fish tacos were so good that they were gone before I could take a picture of them)
After you complete the following recipe, top with cilantro lime dressing
- 2 C. Almond meal
- 4 Filets of Mahi mahi
- Sea salt- 2 tsp
- Garlic powder-1 tsp
- Paprika-1 tsp
- 2 eggs
- Olive oil: 2-3 c
- Black pepper-1 tsp
- Cayenne (pinch)
- ¼ C. Fresh cilantro Chopped
- Lime zest- 1 tsp
- Lime juice (2 limes)
- Put olive oil in frying pan, bring to 380 degrees.
- Turn oven on to 300℉.
- Mix almond meal, sea salt, garlic powder, paprika, pepper, cayenne, and cilantro together.
- Put on a plate.
- Whisk egg with lime juice in a separate bowl.
- Dip fish in egg wash then in dry ingredients.
- Repeat a second time.
- Place in oil.
- Fry on both sides for 2-3 minutes.
- Place in a Pyrex dish and let finish baking in the oven for 8-10 more minutes.